Two Indians among 6 Roman Magsaysay Award winners
- Indian Psychiatrist Bharat Vatwani and educational reformist Sonam Wangchuk from Jammu and Kashmir's Ladakh region are among 6 Roman Magsaysay Award winners of 2018.
- Bharat Vatwani is awarded for dedicating his life in rescuing and treating mentally ill homeless people from Indian streets.
- At a ceremony in Manila, Cambodian activist Youk Chhang, Filipino Howard Dee, Vietnam's Vo Thi Hoang Yen and East Timore's Maria de Lourdes Martins Cruz were also honored for their work.
- The award is considered as Nobel of Asia, given for outstanding contributions in Government Service, Public Service, Community Leadership, Journalism, Literature and Creative Communication Arts, Peace and International Understanding and Emergent Leadership.
Neurosurgeon BK Mishra named for Dr BC Roy National Award 2018
- Famous Neurosurgeon from Mumbai Dr. B. K. Mishra is named for this year's Dr. B.C. Roy National Award given to eminent medical person of the year.
- This highest medical award is presented by President of India on the occasion of the birth anniversary (1 July aka National Doctor's Day in India) of Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy (famous Doctor and former Chief Minister of West Bengal).
- Vodafone India and Idea Cellular comleted their merger, the new entity Vodafone Idea Limited became largest telecom company in India with 408 million active subscribers and market share of 32 percent. (80,000 crore turnover)
- Balesh Sharma, the erstwhile chief operating officer of Vodafone India, will be the new CEO of the new combined entity.
Nobel Peace Prize to Aung Suu Kyi can't be withdrawn: Nobel Committee
- The Norwegian Nobel Committee said that The rules regulating the Nobel Prizes do not allow for a prize to be withdrawn. In this light, the Nobel Peace Prize to Aung San Suu Kyi will not be withdrawn.
- Aung San Suu Kyi, who leads the Myanmar government and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991 for campaigning for democracy.
- In recent years she was criticised for ongoing Rohingya crisis in Myanmar.
India opens new immigration check-post for Myanmar
- India opened Zokhawthar land immigration check-post in Mizoram along Myanmar border for entry and exit to/from Myanmar on valid visa.
- This is second such immigration check-post in Mizoram after Zorinpui.
- Zokhawthar border trading post is one of the largest trading centres after Mizoram’s state capital Aizwal.
- Indian shares 1743 km border with Myanmar, fifth largest after Bangladesh, China, Pakistan, and Nepal.
- In Asian games medal tally, India is still at number 8th position with 15 golds and overall 67 medals.
- The Mumbai Airport will be known as the Chhatrapati Shivaji ‘Maharaj’ International Airport
- The Law Commission of India recommended holding of simultaneous elections to the Lok Sabha and the State Assemblies to save public money.
- Environment Ministery released National Reducing Emission from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+). Objective is to achieve climate change mitigation by incentivising forest conservation.