BARC Recommissioned its Oldest Reactor
- India's oldest nuclear research reactor Apsara has been upgraded and recommissioned under new name Apsara-U (Upgraded).
- Apsara was Asia's first nuclear research reactor, installed at India's nuclear weapon facility at BARC's Trombay campus (Maharashtra) since 1956.
- It was permanently shut down by BARC in 2009 for repair, which is complete and its capacity has been doubled now.
- Father of Indian Nuclear Program, Dr. Homi Jahangir Bhabha conceptualized the design of this indigenous reactor.
- It will increase indigenous production of radio-isotopes for medical application by about 50 percent, according to India's Department of Atomic Energy (DAE).
- Apsara-U uses plate type dispersion fuel elements made of Low Enriched Uranium (LEU).
- In the original reactor, the maximum thermal neutron flux level was about 1×1013 n/cm2/s at designed power (1 MW) whereas, in the upgraded version, flux is 6.1×1013 n/cm2/s of 2 MW power.
Railsahyog Portal for CSR
- Indian Railways Railsahyog portal for the creation of amenities around Railway Stations through Corporate Social Responsibility funds of public/private companies.
- The companies desirous of contributing can show the willingness of the portal by registering their requests.
- The portal has been envisaged as a platform for all including individuals as also private & public organization to contribute towards CSR activities in association with Indian Railways.
Earthquake in North Eastern region
- Moderate earthquake tremors were felt in Assam, West Bengal, Sikkim, Bihar, Jharkhand, and also in Bhutan.
- The earthquake was of 5.5 on the Richter Scale.
- Its epicenter was at 7 km from Kokrajhar district of Assam, Kokrajhar is known form being home of Boro tribe and Manas National Park.
One-Liners for Preliminary Exams
- Hindustan Shipyard Limited has successfully built India’s first missile tracking ship VC 11184 powered by two diesel engines, and having the capacity to carry 300-strong crew, large deck capable of the helicopter landing and communication equipment.
- Under NITI Aayog’s ‘National Strategy for Artificial Intelligence' NITI Aayog, Intel and Tata Institute of Fundamental Research are collaborating to set up a Model International Center for Transformative Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI).
- World Meteorological Organisation (WMO), has forecasted a 70% chance of an El Nino developing by the end of this year.
Anticipated El Nino may not be as powerful as the 2015-16 event but will have considerable impact.
- After direction of Supreme Court, the Election Commission has removed NOTA option for Rajya Sabha election and elections of legislative councils of states.