Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna
- Virat Kohli and Mirabai Chanu are selected to be awarded Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna.
- Virat Kohli is currently Indian cricket captain and Mirabai Chanu is a weightlifter to receive the prestigious award September 25, 2018.
- Chanu was chosen for the prestigious award following her gold medal in the 48kg category at the World Championships 2017.
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna is the highest sporting honour of India.
- Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra was among 20 sportspersons picked for the Arjuna Awards.
Home Ministry to get integrated control room
- Ministry of Home Affairs is to get Integrated Control Room for Emergency Response (ICR-ER)
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) is about to set up this state-of-the-art facility in Ministry of Home Affairs.
- ISRO will render its technical expertise for setting up of proposed ICR-ER whereas the project will be executed under the overall supervision of MHA.
- The ICR-ER will cater to the requirement of Disaster Management as well as Internal Security.
- ICR-ER will address the requirement of receipt of information on near real-time basis, strategic level monitoring, situation awareness, command and control, preparedness and response in the diverse internal security situation and disaster-related emergencies.
- Resultantly, it will increase the operational effectiveness and will be helpful in rendering timely response/assistance during various emergency situations.
ISRO's tech incubator in Agartala
- The ISRO Technology Incubation Centre has been launched in Agartala.
- The Centre was launched at the first edition of ‘Spacetronics’ organized by the India Electronics and Semiconductor Association.
- The Incubation Centre is located at National Institute of Technology Agartala.
- On the launch event K. Sivan said that ISRO is looking to incubate space-related innovation and start-ups.
India successfully test fires Prahaar missile
- Prahaar is a solid-fuel road-mobile surface-to-surface tactical missile.
- It is a contemporary weapon system capable of carrying multiple types of warheads and neutralizing a wide variety of targets.
- India successfully test-fired this indigenously developed ballistic missile on 20 September 2018.
- ‘Prahaar‘ has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The missile is equipped with state-of-the-art navigation, guidance and electromechanical actuation systems with the advanced onboard computer.
- Prahaar is expected to replace the short-range Prithvi-I missile
- Its operating range is 150 km, and flight altitude is 35 km.
- The International Day of Peace is observed every year on 21 September. This year's theme was “The Right to Peace – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights at 70”
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh launched India’s first ever online and centralised National Database on Sexual Offenders (NDSO) in New Delhi. The database will have a record of the name, photographs, address, fingerprint and other details of convicted offenders.