Highest UN Environment Award to PM Modi
- Indian Prime Minister and France President selected to be awarded highest UN Environment award - Champions of the Earth for their International Solar Alliance Initiative.
- Lifetime Achievement - Joan Carling, defenders of environmental and indigenous rights
- Policy Leadership - Indian PM and French President for ISA initiative and pledge to eliminate single-use plastic in India by 2022
- Action and Inspiration - China’s Zhejiang’s Green Rural Revival Programme
- Entrepreneurial Vision - Cochin International Airport, India for use of Sustainable energy
- Science and Innovation - Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods
- Cochin International Airport is the world’s first solar-powered airport. It runs its entire operations on solar energy.
- This award was launched in the year 2005 by UNEP to recognize exemplary individuals and organizations whose actions created a positive impact on the environment.
Live streaming of court proceedings allowed
- The Supreme Court on 26 September 2018 agreed to live-streaming and video recording of court proceedings.
- The apex court said that necessary rules for balancing rights of public and protecting dignity of litigants will be placed soon.
- The verdict was passed on a batch of petitions filed by, law student Snehil Tripathi and NGO ‘Centre For Accountability and Systemic Change’ on the issue.
GSTN 100% share acquisition by Govt.
- Union Cabinet has recently approved increasing the government stake in GSTN to 100 percent from the current 49%.
- Currently, out of 49% stake owned by govt Centre and states own equal halves. The acquisition of the rest 51% from five non-government institutions will be made by the Central and state governments in equal quantity.
- The Cabinet also decided to allow a change in the existing composition of the GSTN board.
- New GSTN board will have a total of 11 directors including a Chairman and a Chief Executive (CEO), 3 directors each will be nominated by the Central and state governments, 3 other independent directors would be nominated by the board of directors.
- GSTN provides the technical support to the GST by handling massive amounts of data and deals with crucial data sets such as indirect tax returns and refunds.
- Astra, indigenously developed Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile (BVRAAM) successfully tested from Su-30 aircraft.
- This best in class weapon system comprises a launcher and a missile and having a long range of 110 km and short range of 20 km.
Jan Dhan Darshak App
- It is a mobile application launched by the Finance Ministry as a part of Financial Inclusion.
- It is jointly developed by National Informatics Centre and Ministry of Finance.
- The app provides a citizen-centric platform for locating financial service touch points across all providers such as banks, post office, CSC, etc at a given location in the country.