India Won the Asia Cup for the 7th time
- In the final match of Asia Cup 2018 (ODI), India defeated Bangladesh in the last delivery.
- In the entire series India did not lose any match, however, one match ended up as a draw against Afghanistan.
- Shikhar Dhawan won Man of the Series title.
- Liton Das was named Man of the Match.
- Asia Cup 2018 hosted by the United Arab Emirates. Asia Cup 2016 (T20) was hosted in Bangladesh and won by India.
- First Asia Cup match was held in 1984 in Sharjah, UAE.
Important Supreme Court Judgements in this month
Mosque, Islam, and Ayodhya Dispute
- Observations in Ismail Faruqui need to be viewed in the context of land acquisition proceedings; not relevant in Ayodhya Title Dispute - SC
- SC refuses to review 1994 judgment that said ‘mosque is not integral to Islam’
- The Supreme Court ruled that the civil suit has to be decided on the basis of evidence and that the previous verdict, which was announced during the hearing of the Ayodhya land dispute, has no relevance to it.
- In a landmark verdict on the Aadhaar Act, the Supreme Court upheld its Constitutional validity.
- The apex court struck down Section 57 of the Act which allowed private bodies to use Aadhaar number for establishing the identity of the person.
- The controversial Section 33(2) of the Aadhaar Act, which makes an exception to the primacy of security of data of an individual and allows an officer of the rank of joint secretary to disclose it in matters of national security, has been revoked by the Supreme Court.
- The Supreme Court has declared that Section 497 (of IPC) is unconstitutional. Adultery is not a crime.
- This judgment has overturned the three previous rulings by the Supreme Court on Section 497.
- Adultery law under Section 497 views women as a property of men
- It allows men to file a complaint but doesn't give women the same right
- In a landmark judgment, a five-judge bench of the Supreme Court lifted the ban on the entry of women aged 10-50 inside the 800-year-old Sabarimala temple.
- Women of all ages are now allowed to enter the Ayyappa temple in Sabarimala, Kerala.
- Devotion cannot be subjected to gender discrimination", the Supreme Court said.
- No relief to arrested activists. SC has given permission to go ahead with the investigation to Maharashtra Police and refused the demand SIT formation.
Female Genital Mutilation
- Three judges bench of Supreme court which included Chief Justice of India has referred the case to a larger bench (Constitution Bench).
Live-streaming of court proceedings
- "Sunlight is the best disinfectant," said the Supreme Court bench headed by CJI and ordered live-streaming and video recording of the court proceedings.
- The three judges bench observed that live streaming would bring in more transparency in judicial proceedings and effectuate the "public right to know".
Gay Sex - Article 377
- The Supreme Court, in a landmark judgment which came out in early September, decriminalized gay sex holding that consensual sex between two adults was covered under the right to privacy.
- A five-judge bench of the Supreme Court headed by CJI Dipak Misra partly struck down Section 377 of Indian Penal Code (IPC) holding it violative of the fundamental right to privacy.
- However, the Supreme Court said that Section 377 would continue to be in force in cases of unnatural sex with animals and children.