The threat of Leptospirosis in Post Flood Kerala
- Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease spreads from animals (infected rodents and other wild and domesticated species) to human when they get in contact with infected animal's urine-contaminated water.
- Because of recent massive floods in Kerala, Health Ministry has issued the warning regarding the spread of this disease caused by bacteria of the genus Leptospira
- In common cases, Leptospirosis causes mild flu-like symptoms, including a headache, chills and muscle pain. But in severe cases, it is known as Weil's disease, which may become life-threatening and lack of proper treatment may cause kidney damage, meningitis, liver failure, respiratory distress, and even death.
Kathmandu Declaration of BIMSTEC Summit
- 4th BIMSTEC Summit concluded with 18 Point Kathmandu Declaration. The declaration emphasized on importance of enhancing the effectiveness of BIMSTEC secretariate by engaging in technical and economic activities in the region.
- Declaration has underlined the importance of multidimensional connectivity as a key enabler to economic integration for the shared prosperity of the region.
- BIMSTEC strongly condemned terrorism in all its forms and manifestations and stressed that there can be no justification whatsoever for any act of terrorism.
- They also affirmed that the fight against terrorism should target not only terrorists, terror organizations and networks but also identify and hold accountable States and non-State entities that encourage, support or finance terrorism, provide sanctuaries to terrorists and terror groups and falsely extol their virtues.
- The member states also signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the establishment of a Bimstec Gird Interconnection to enhance energy cooperation among the member states.
- The current chairman of BIMSTEC, Nepal PM KP Sharma Oli handed over Chairmanship of next (fifth) BIMSTEC Summit to Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena.
Law Commission on Sedition Law
- Law Commission has made its adverse recommendation to Central Government on Section 124A of Indian Penal Code commonly known as Sedition Law. The provision was introduced in the 1870s to check increased Wahabi activism against the colonial government.
- The commission has recommended thinking about repealing this law provision, according to which words or any visible representation that attempts to bring hatred or contempt or excite disaffection towards the government punishable by law.
- Offenders charged with a cognizable and non-bailable (bail to be granted by Magistrate or Court; not Police) offense with punishment up to imprisonment for life & fine or imprisonment for 3 years & fine or with fine alone.
Krishna Kutir & The Swadhar Greh Scheme
- Ministry of Women and Child Development's Swadhar Greh Scheme targets the women victims of difficult circumstances who are in need of institutional support for rehabilitation so that they could lead their life with dignity. The Scheme envisages providing shelter, food, clothing and health as well as economic and social security for these women.
- Under the scheme, Government has inaugurated ‘Krishna Kutir’ at Vrindavan in Mathura, Uttar Pradesh. Krishna Kutir is special home for 1000 widows set under Swadhar Greh scheme and is the largest ever government facility of its kind.
China-Maldives Friendship Bridge opens
- The Maldives has inaugurated is its first cross sea bridge China-Maldives Friendship Bridge (Sinamale bridge) between its capital city Male and island Hulhule.
- Length of the bridge is of 2.2 kilometers and built with Chinese grant of USD 116 million and Chinese Loan of USD 76 million.
- International Airport of Maldives is located on the Hulhule island, the bridge is having 4 vehicles and two pedestrian lane.
- The entire construction of the Sinamale bridge was carried out by the Chinese company China Harbour Engineering (CHEC).
- India did not take part in the inauguration ceremony of the landmark Sinamale Bridge, representing the friendship between Maldives and China.
Important One-Liners for Preliminary Tests
- Astronomers have captured the clearest image of Monster galaxy (COSMOS-AzTEC-1) located 12.4 billion light-years away, using Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA). In Monster galaxies speed of star formation is 1000 times higher than that in Milky Way Galaxy.
- National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog flagged off cycle rally MOVE Cyclathon to spread the message of clean mobility to the Indian public and promote cleaner, accessible modes of transport.
- Mauritius top source of FDI into India with $37.36b, Singapore second in 2017-18: RBI Data
- 4th International Ayurveda Congress was inaugurated in the Netherlands on September 1, 2018.
- The Nagaland government has declared the Singphan Wildlife Sanctuary as an elephant reserve making it the 30th reserve for the elephant in the country.
Post a Comment